Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
4365 Cougar Village Dr.
Student Services Center 1, Rm. 226
saohuHouston, TX 77204-3026
Phone: (713) 743-5454
COVID-19 News and Updates from CAPS
Latest Updates from UH CAPS as of April 13, 2020
In compliance with the, “Stay Home Work Safe” order, CAPS is operating remotely via Teletherapy (phone and video)
- During business hours, you may contact us at 713.743.5454 and we will assist you per our normal business hours procedures.
- After business hours, please contact us at 713.743.5454 and follow the prompts to leave a message or to be connected to the after-hours clinician.
- Until further notice: all fees associated with our services, including late cancellation fees and session fees, will be waived.
- We are pleased to offer you the new . These 30-minute workshops will start at noon, Mon-Friday, and will cover a variety of topics aimed to help you manage the multitude of emotions and challenges during this unprecedented time.
- QPR Suicide Prevention Trainings are now available on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1-2pm. Please contact us to sign up.
- Please check out our page for many helpful resources.
- Group Therapy and Essential Skills workshops will be temporarily suspended until further notice.
- Let’s Talk is temporarily suspended. Any individual needing a consultation is encouraged to call CAPS for a phone consultation.
- Outreach education/prevention services are temporarily suspended. We are working to offer our most requested trainings via live stream and will notify you when these become available.
- As always, if you have a life-threatening emergency, please dial 911. For all other crises, CAPS is available 24/7 by dialing, 713.743.5454. If your call is after business hours, please follow the prompts to be connected to the after-hours counselor.
Thank you in advance for your patience as we navigate this dynamic situation and strive to best serve you during this challenging time. We apologize in advance for any glitches that may occur with technology as we embark on this new and temporary practice. Please let us know if you experience any difficulties and we will do our best to address any issues as quickly as possible. Please check back to this page for more information as conditions continue to evolve.
Counseling and Psychological Services is here to help you on your journey to living life to the fullest.
saohuWhile some amount of stress, sadness, and anxiety is a normal part of life, we can all find ourselves in a place where we need a little bit of professional help to regain our balance, feel more at peace with ourselves, and feel more in control of our lives.
At CAPS we don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach to mental health. Different people need different things at different times. We offer a dynamic array of services intended to meet your needs where you are. From more traditional individual and couples counseling to workshops, group therapy, and Single Session Therapy (SST), CAPS is always looking to find the solution that best meets your needs.
Know what you're looking for but don't know where to find it? Search our site:
Are you ready to take the first step?
How do I schedule an appointment?
CAPS has walk-in hours from 8:30-4:00 pm Monday through Friday. When you walk in, a CAPS counselor will meet with you, hear your concerns, and help determine what service is most likely to address your needs. If CAPS is not able to meet your specific needs, we will work with you to connect you to a provider that can. Read more about how to initiate services.
Not Sure You Need Counseling?
Feel free to stop by for an informal consultation at one of our many “Let’s Talk” locations on campus. Read more about our Let's Talk Program.
CAPS Crisis Information
If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please dial 911.
saohuCAPS is available 24/7 at 713.743.5454. If you are experiencing a crisis situation and need to speak with someone, you may call us or walk in during business hours. If it is after business hours, please follow the prompts to be connected to the after-hours counselor on call.
CAPS is located on the second floor of Student Service Center 1 (Bldg #524 on the UH Campus Map), in room 226. Please feel free to contact us at the number listed above if you are having difficulties locating our office.
Office Hours for UH Main
Monday- Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm Saturday Closed Sunday Closed
UH at Sugar Land
CAPS also has an office at UH at Sugar Land in the Albert and Mamie George Building, DSAES Suite 119. For a more in-depth campus map or for specific driving instructions please refer to the UH at Sugar Land campus map
Office Hours for UH at Sugar Land (revised hours under COVID-19):
Office Hours for UH at Sugar Land
Monday - Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm Saturday Closed Sunday Closed
“Let's Talk” is a program that provides easy access to informal confidential consultations with therapists from Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). CAPS therapists hold weekly walk-in hours at various sites around campus during the fall and spring semesters. There is no appointment or fee necessary.
QPR Suicide Prevention
saohuQPR, which stands for "Question, Persuade, Refer", is a nationally recognized suicide prevention program designed to educate persons to recognize and respond to the signs of suicidal thinking or behavior. CAPS offers QPR workshops throughout the semester.
Each CAPS staff member has an on-going liaison relationship with a college, department, and/or student organization at UH. This liaison relationship helps to bridge the gap between CAPS services and the campus community by providing education and consultation regarding students facing mental health issues.